When the weather finally starts getting cooler, don’t we all crave something warm? This healthy White Chicken, Bean and Veggie Chili adapted from a Giada de Laurentiis recipe does just the trick.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound ground chicken
Salt & Pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons flour
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
A few handfuls of spinach, chopped
1 cup of any frozen vegetable(s) your kids like, thawed (corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
2 cups chicken stock
Steamed white or brown rice (great way to use up leftover rice)
1 tomato, chopped
Shredded white cheddar cheese
– Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
– Add the ground chicken, salt, pepper, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano and chili powder, cook 8 minutes.
– Once chicken is cooked, stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
– Add the beans and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer for an hour. In the last 10 minutes of cooking add the spinach and thawed vegetables.
– Taste and season to taste with salt & pepper.
– Serve on top of a heaping spoonful of rice and top with chopped tomatoes and shredded white cheddar cheese.
Jayme is a MoM of 2-year-old twin boys. You can follow her on Instagram @messylittleeaters .